Our History

89 years and growing

Mount Hebron Missionary Baptist Church had very humble beginnings. The church began as a Mission Circle in 1926 by a group of young people whose main goal was to solicit funds to help relieve the poor. This group called themselves the “Gospel Relief Workers”.



THUMB 1
image
Reverend Ezell’s Vision 1929

Three years later, in April of 1929, Rev. J. P. Ezell of South Carolina joined the group. Reverend Ezell envisioned a larger organization and led efforts toward this end by recruiting children from house to house. Reverend Ezell felt that if he gained the children this would lead to the recruitment of adults. His efforts were fruitful and led to the retention of several adults and their families.

THUMB 2
image
Acts 26:22a obtained HELP… 1929

As is so common in the Body of Christ, Reverend Ezell’s efforts were blessed with the assistance of the spiritual gifts of others. John Carter, Donnie Fields, Willie G. Swaney, George Skinner and Rufus Turner began the foundation for the first Deacon Board. This larger group furthered God’s efforts by organizing a church.

THUMB 3
image
Church gets its Name 1930

In 1930, this church was formerly organized and named the Mount Hebron Missionary Baptist Church. The original edifice was located at 1829 West Taylor Street in Chicago. Deacon Fields and Deacon Carter remained faithful members of Mount Hebron until their deaths (1963 and 1968, respectively). The lower auditorium of the current church building is dedicated to the memory of Deacon Carter.

THUMB 4
image
Pastor J N Wordlaw 1941

Prosperity resulted in a move of the church to 1857 West Roosevelt and then later to 2049 West Roosevelt Road. In 1941, the church was blessed by the pastorship of Reverend Joshua Napoleon Wordlaw.

THUMB 5
image
3445 West Douglas Blvd 1957

Duis vulputate laoreet sem sed sollicitudin. Aliquam diam nunc, convallis nec tortor at, tempor tempus diam. Vestibulum iaculis eros vitae augue pulvinar porttitor. Proin faucibus vehicula diahjhgjhgm eget semper. Pellentesque massa nulla, lobortis ac ornare ac.

THUMB 6
image
New Sanctuary 1984

In 1983, the members of the Mount Hebron Missionary Baptist Church were forced to vacant the premises because of building code violations. During this time, God remained faithful to the congregation and provided for church services in the basement of the Lawndale Interracial Baptist Church until the current church building was completed. In January of 1984, members of Mount Hebron proudly marched into a new church building proclaiming the address of 3447 West Douglas Boulevard.

THUMB 6
image
Pastor Wordlaw called to GLORY 1991

Reverend Wordlaw served faithfully until his death in 1991. As is common after the death of a long-term pastor, the church underwent several splits in membership. The men who pastured the church during this time (in successive order) were: Reverend Norman Donahue, Sr., Reverend Roderick Baker and Reverend Garrett R. Pearson.

THUMB 6
image
Pastor Lloyd L. Keith 2000-Present

On July 31, 2000 in an unprecedented unanimous vote, the members of Mount Hebron embraced Lloyd L. Keith as its pastor. Pastor Keith faithfully serves as the current pastor.

Load More
Top
MENU